Welcome to our new series, two-minute try-outs! We have been busy filming a selection of exciting lifestyle videos, covering different activities and themes through a two-minute guide – all hosted in the stunning show apartment at The Grove; our new collection of homes to launch in Forest Gate.
First up… cooking! The contemporary, open-plan kitchen at the one-bedroom show apartment is the perfect place to cook up a storm, whilst still being able to socialise when entertaining guests.
Join Shinel and her mum Caz as they cook a delicious Jamaican-inspired meal of Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice with fried Plantain and Coleslaw in the kitchen at The Grove. Cooking is very important to their family and the kitchen really is at the heart of their homes.
We all know how difficult it can be to think of quick and tasty meal ideas so if you’re looking for a new recipe to inspire a hearty lunch or dinner… you’ve got to give this a try! Check out their how-to guide in the video below, in addition to the full list of ingredients and a step-by-step method outline.
Our new collection of contemporary and chic shared ownership apartments at The Grove is located right in the heart of Forest Gate. If you’d like to book a private appointment to view the show apartment, click here.
Basmati White Rice
Scotch Bonnet Pepper
3 Curry Powders (Mild and Hot Madras powder, Haldi Ground Turmeric and All Purposes Seasoning)
Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Add your tin of coconut milk to a pan and bring to the boil
- Wash the basmati rice to take away the starch
- Once boiled, add the basmati rice to the coconut milk
- Add one scotch bonnet pepper, spring onion, thyme and one cube of vegetable stock
- Continue boiling until the rice is cooked. This will usually take around 15 minutes
- Wash your chicken with lemon
- Once washed, season your chicken with three curry powders (Mild and Hot Madras Powder, Haldi Ground Turmeric and All Purposes seasoning)
- Add chopped up garlic, chopped up onions, one scotch bonnet pepper (chopped in half) and black pepper. Leave to marinate for a few hours.
- To start cooking, add a table spoon of vegetable oil (or oil of your choice). Once the oil is hot, add your seasoned chicken until this cooks through.
- Add your potatoes and vegetable stock
- Slice the plantain
- Add vegetable oil to your pan
- Add the plantain. Once the oil is hot, fry for two minutes on each side until golden
- Put the plantain on a plate with kitchen towel to drain any excess oil
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and serve
- Grate your red apple, white cabbage and carrots into a bowl
- Add mayonnaise and salad cream
- Mix all ingredients together